Monday, May 15, 2006

Proverbs 31 and how it applies to me

Proverbs 31:10-31
10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.

=======

The word that really stands out to me in the first group of verses is "noble." I had to look up the word to understand where the author was going with this:

"noble: Having or showing qualities of high moral character, such as courage, generosity, or honor"

Wow, that's a very high calling for anyone to uphold, much less live out. One of the example of high moral character in the definition is courage, which was a very interesting choice. I think courage is definitely something to be valued in the church, often I find many people have an abundance of kindness and very little courage to do much of anything. That's a whole other topic...

Even though Proverbs 31 was really written about women (wives in particular) I'd like to apply these verses to myself. If I were to change the subject of the verses, would they apply to me? Am I a man of noble character? Would I bring my wife good and not harm? Would my wife have full confidence in me as a man of God? Would I be eager to work for the better of my household? These are tough questions, many of them I'll have to spend time pondering later.

=======

14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

=======

This passage describes someone who is willing to go the extra mile for their family. Not only is this particular woman selfless when it comes to her time and energy, she works all day and gets up in the morning to provide for others. I have a hard time thinking that she cares for an entire household and manages a business on the side all at once, I think this passage describes different seasons in her life: first she was a homemaker, then she managed a business later. I know that it's going to be very difficult/rewarding for me to care for my family while I'm busy working, but it's something that I must do. It's something I'll enjoy doing, I was made for that time in my life.

======

20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.

======

Even with all the things going on her life, caring for her family and her business, she takes the time to help the needy. I have a hard time feeling compassion for the needy, much less helping them. I know that God has called me to step up my compassion and giving for the poor; it's something that I need to spend time doing (food pantry for the win?). Verse twenty-three stands out to me, "Her husband is respected at the city gates." Given the context of the verse, it's implied that the husband is respected in part because of the wife. On the flip side, it's my job to be such a witness that my wife is respected in the church and at her job.

======

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

========

I love that it mentions this woman laughing, that with everything going on she is still a fun-loving person. It's fitting that in Proverbs, the book of wisdom, it ends by speaking of a woman with wisdom. A godly person will be a wise person, that's how God works. If we spend time in God's word we will be wise, thus it makes sense that this woman spends time in God's word. Lastly, the author reminds us that beauty is fleeting (or passing) and that outward charm is deceptive. This is a call for me to judge others based on their hearts and deeds, not their appearance or smooth tongue; it's also a charge to be a man of outstanding character and a Godly heart so my wife will cherish who I am for the entireity of our time together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats